We are looking for a talented, knowledgeable Managing Director for a mission-driven VC fund. Our client is widely recognized as a leader in venture philanthropy and has a long history of leveraging its scientific and clinical expertise to fund ground-breaking research and to de-risk novel technologies. As a ‘Micro-VC’ founded in 2014, the fund has helped found, or invested in, 20+ early-stage biotech companies developing specific therapies and has provided support to many of the current drug development programs. Several portfolio companies have been acquired by pharmaceutical companies or have had successful IPOs, providing the fund with further resources for reinvestment.
Reporting to the CEO, the Managing Director help lead and expand the research investments through sourcing, negotiating, and executing a range of transactions. In particular, identifying very early research which could be applicable to treating specific disease and building relationships for future or current investment. A successful candidate will have strong business and biotech venture experience, including analyzing and proposing creative deal structures and financing options, and demonstrated success negotiating investments. A strong scientific and/or clinical background is not required but considered a plus
- Support the investment process from sourcing through due diligence and deal closing.
- Add to the database of researchers, KOL’s and companies with early-stage opportunities in key strategic areas
- Leverage existing relationships with VCs and other biotech connections to generate leads and funding opportunities
- Use a strong personal network to nurture relationships and structure dependable funding syndicates. Conduct pro-active outreach to prospective partners that are pursuing promising approaches in the therapeutic area of interest.
- Cultivate and establish a comprehensive, deep network of external relations providing first-mover access to therapeutic innovation within the broader venture community (academia, entrepreneurs, biotech, government and private life science initiatives)
- Develop a good understanding of preclinical and clinical research and protocols
- Conduct market research.
- Develop knowledge of regulatory issues specific for the mission
- Attend investment and medical conferences.
- Develop KOL network to conduct due diligence calls with physicians and other consultants
- Build and maintain financial models
- Attend board meetings and work on projects to build portfolio company value
- Create a network of academic KOL’s and tech transfer offices at academic institutions
- MD, PhD or MBA in relevant investment and/or scientific discipline.
- A minimum of 3-4 years of non-academic work experience in healthcare venture capital, healthcare consulting, a relevant operating role in a biotech/pharma company, or investment banking.
- Have, or be able to develop relationships with healthcare VC’s, biotech and pharmaceutical companies
- A broad business understanding of biomedical and pharma drug development including knowledge of deal structures and terms used to fund early-stage projects
- Self-starter who takes initiative
- High degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently; Strong work ethic and commitment
- Exceptional scientific acumen
- Strong financial modeling skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; detail oriented
- Ability to multi-task and easily transition among several concurrent projects
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative and entrepreneurial team environment
- Residency in Boston area is preferred
Candidates must live in N. America and either have current US work authorization for for-profit companies or be TN visa eligible.
To apply for this position, confidentially email us here.