REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
Our client has built a significant portfolio of products that are licensed to and being developed by other biotech and pharmaceutical companies. The Company’s portfolio of over 70 partner-funded programs spans multiple stages of the drug development process and across various therapeutic areas. Many of these licenses are the result of our client’s pioneering efforts in the discovery and development of antibody therapeutics. The Company’s new business model includes acquiring additional milestone and royalty rights associated with drug development programs with third-party funding.
This position will oversee the organization’s corporate and business development functions including the following:
- Work closely with the CEO, the CFO, and the Board as appropriate, to lead the strategic planning process for the Company
- Build the royalty portfolio by leading and driving the asset acquisition process from origination to initial terms, to structuring & negotiating, to diligence and to close
- Supervising a relatively small cross-functional team covering science, clinical development, financial analysis, legal, IP/licensing, and portfolio assessment
- Active and frequent interaction with the Company’s Board of Directors and select investors
- Oversee, in collaboration with the executive team, the development and communication of the company’s business strategy to ensure the best use of resources in pursuing growth and financial objectives.
- Lead and run the process for sourcing potential asset acquisition transactions (including triaging all inbound opportunities, proactive out-bound activity and communication to identify opportunities, and coordination with company’s largest stockholder where appropriate)
- Refine and communicate the ideal deal/asset profile in order to maximize company’s competitive advantage in the market.
- Direct the portfolio evaluation, prioritization and valuation process
- Oversee and lead the asset acquisition process including contract development, negotiation and execution
- Actively establish the company’s vision and goals with VCs, investment banks, and the biotech financing community in general
- Work closely with the CFO to interface and engage with potential alternative capital providers
- Seek opportunities to create and construct business partnerships/collaborations, merger and acquisition opportunities, joint venture or other structures that support the achievement of the organization’s strategic initiatives.
- Lead any out-licensing efforts of the Company with third parties.
- Work closely with the CEO and CFO to define and develop annual corporate goals and objectives
- Establish and manage the budget of the Business & Corporate Development function.
- Provide management oversight over internal control activities that underpin the validity, accuracy, and completeness of the company’s books and records to ensure conformance with Corporate Policies and Procedures as well as applicable laws and regulations.
- Provide full, fair, timely, accurate and understandable disclosures in periodic reports required to be filed and , as appropriate, any violation of Company Policies and Procedures.
- Experience and background in business development and/or corporate development including:
- 10-15 years in biotechnology industry with network from venture, private equity, and/or investment banking perspective
- Creating processes for identifying assets/opportunities and structuring/negotiating/modeling acquisition transactions
- 3-5 years as lead negotiator, ideally both buy and sell side
- Familiarity with IP licensing terms and agreements
- Understands and wants to:
- Work in an entrepreneurial environment and create something new and exciting
- Be a “hands-on” individual contributor but also effective in leveraging external resources as an extension of the internal team
- Be a key member of a small team and understand the importance of being a team player
- Be results driven
- Be rewarded based on results with significant equity upside potential
- Strategic thinker who naturally thinks “BIG”
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- A life sciences Ph.D., M.D., and/or MBA is desirable. Extensive experience with a proven technical and management track record in the pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology field is necessary.
- Thorough knowledge of the pharma/biotech industry with a focus on discovery and development processes
- Proven ability in successful deal-making and licensing transactions across multiple therapeutic and technology alliances, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other collaborations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with particular emphasis on communication, collaboration, influencing, building relationships selling skills and knowing how to have fun.
- Thorough understanding of the processes of due diligence, asset valuation, and portfolio management with a combined scientific and business acumen.
- A broad network of contacts in the US, European and Asian academic, pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry sectors is essential.
- Exceptional leadership skills demonstrating the ability to recruit, retain and motivate a high-performance organization
To apply for this position, confidentially email us here.